Well…. first and foremost- HELLO GIFTED one 🙂 Lovely to have you on the blog!
If this is your first time on the site- welcome!
I guess this is one of those foods that I never knew about but if you also haven’t heard about it- well you are just about to!!
PLEASE GIVE A ROUND OF APPLAUSE FOR ……….
I call it the food I never knew how to pronounce. Some call it the SUPERGRAIN OF THE FUTURE! Dr. Greger, the founder of nutrition facts.org (oh yes, I found this site and it has changed my life- so if you’re a nutrition freak like me- please go and check it out!) calls it the ingredient that lowers triglyceride levels in our bodies according to a study he found. Call it what you may… Quinoa is incredible! Here are some reasons to fetch quinoa.
What is it?
It’s actually a SEED not exactly a grain, originating from a seed-like fruit. It is born and bred in South America. It is now popularly used by most health enthusiasts and especially vegetarians for its proposed health benefits and as a substitute for rice!
Red, white and black.
- White quinoa: Actually tan-colored, is fluffier
andhas a light texture.
- Red quinoa: According to research, it has a heartier taste, and may sometimes be chewier. If we talk about clinical or health benefits, red quinoa has more antioxidants than white.
This could mean a better effect of this type on some diseases related to free oxygen radical release.(eg cancers, athritides, and other infalmmatoryconditions.)
- Black quinoa: Never seen or tasted it, but apparently has a bit of an earthy flavor but also a bit sweeter. Just like red quinoa, it proves healthier as it is also rich in anti-oxidants.
Significance of the COLOUR/TYPE?
I guess it depends on what you’re looking for. If you’re looking for the most optimal health benefits and consuming this superfood mainly to prevent disease- then red and black would be your pick.
I’m all about COLOUR when it comes to preparing healthy meals so I guess a bit of variety in COLOUR is always great. But really if you’re just like me, and just getting to know quinoa, then pick the white one. Simple, has major health and nutrition health benefits and will go with almost any meal and make the perfect contrast.
So what are some of the nutritional benefits?
- Rich in vitamins and minerals. Vitamin E, folate, iron, zinc and is very rich in magnesium. Did you know magnesium is one the things that helps to alleviate migraines by blood vessel dilatation?
- It is considered a COMPLETE PROTEIN– because it contains all nine amino acids. It is one of the most protein-rich foods we can eat.
- High Fibre content. This helps us lower cholesterol and control sugar levels in our bodies. Because of the high protein AND fiber content, it proves better than brown rice as it also contains less carbohydrate and calorie content, while filling you up in smaller quantities.
WILL THIS FOOD CHANGE MY LIFE?
In the words of Dr. Greger “When I think of a superfood, I associate the word with clinical benefits.” So, what are the CLINICAL BENEFITS OF QUINOA?
Well, a study done has revealed that consuming about 50g of quinoa a day for 6 weeks reduced the levels of total cholesterol. Nutritionfact.org confirms this with a trial that showed that a cup a day of quinoa led to a 36% reduction of triglycerides in 12 weeks.
BUT HERE’S THE POINT– This result is apparently comparable to what one would get with
So pick your choose; a cup of quinoa every now and again instead of the ordinary rice or white starches, or a tablet a day in the future?
The answer is YES- it will definitely change your life, especially if you’re naturally prone to carrying some extra weight and TRIGLYCERIDES like some of us. Maybe not TODAY, but each day is a change of your life in the future!
DOES IT TASTE GOOD?
I wouldn’t say it has any PARTICULAR taste, just as doesn’t rice. I just add salt and pepper to taste when preparing it and I’m good to go. Obviously, as with MOST
To SUPERFOODS and SUPERHEALTH! ENJOY !
LET ME KNOW IF AND WHEN YOU’VE TRIED IT! I need more recipes and ideas too 🙂
And don’t be afraid to leave any questions!