“There are more things to admire in men than there are to despise.” Albert Camus
And indeed, there is so much that we are capable of that we didn’t even know. We are such fighters, and we can THRIVE off all of this that we’ve had to fight through.
And sometimes all we need to see is a big smile from somewhere across the world to be reminded that we can thrive again….. 🙂
So whether or not you’re an essential worker, here are 5 whole-rounded tips that I think encompass helping to look after yourself and wellness in mind body and soul.
These 5 things are some of your medicine : Doctor’s orders 😉
- Reflection is key: Keep trying to find the blessing and focus on the bigger purpose. Reflection helps us feel in charge of our emotions and things affecting us, and most importantly, helps us get beyond that by finding a way forward. Create protective boundaries to guard your thoughts. This will help relieve anxiety thus reducing your stress levels. Reflect, think positive, keep the bigger picture in mind. This is key.
- To speak is to breathe: Speak out, debrief. With the person next to you, over the phone….just get it out there if something is on your chest. Or just simple communication with loved ones is really good and is essential to emotional connectedness. Studies show that isolation is associated with increased mortality…so stay in touch to keep sane and just BREATHE. 🙂
- Food is medicine: Watch what you eat-are you keeping it nutritious? When we binge on “junk food”or eat foods too high in fat, calories, or refined carbohydrates and sugars, processed foods,we tend to feel tired; lethargic. We then even feel less like exercising. We’ve seen that research is showing that those with type 2 diabetes and other metabolic diseases- meaning diseases of lifestyle, are the ones at greater risk of getting a severe form of the virus. This means that the immune system is affected is affected by what we eat, how much we move or don’t move- basically, our lifestyle. So let’s protect not just the number what we eat, on the scale from rising, but our immunity as well during this time. Remember, it’s about making healthy choices every day. And don’t forget to HYDRATE HYDRATE HYDRATE!
- Exercise is Medicine: Keep it moving, even if its a little bit. Exercise helps to prevent depression, gives you a reason to wake up in the morning, elevates your mood, helps you make healthier eating decisions, helps you sleep better at night, will help to keep you ,at least, not OUT of shape…shall I go on? The list is endless! The American Heart Association recommends 150 minutes a week of moderate-intensity exercise or 75 minutes of high-intensity exercise. You do the math- but just keep it moving:)
- Sleep is medicine: This one is so under-rated I feel. But not getting enough sleep will cause you to be moody, affect your hunger levels by inducing cravings, it affects your energy levels…the list goes on. If you’re in lockdown, try not to sleep during the day, a maximum of 20 minutes if you must. Practice sleep hygiene if you’re really struggling to sleep at night. Sleep will help you think better, will help you have higher energy levels to even play with your kids if you have any, will help you make better eating choices, and you’ll be overall, RESTED. So if you want to change how you feel, start by changing how much sleep you get.
Here’s a link to a great website on sleep hygiene. https://www.sleepfoundation.org/articles/sleep-hygiene
And there you have it, your 5-to-thrive!!!!
Keep thriving! Much love 🙂